There are quite a few festivals which have graced our land, nonetheless, there are just a few that maintain cultural significance and add to its splendour. The significance of agriculture has at all times been a jewel in the crown for India. Honouring the roots, the total nation comes collectively in January to have fun the abundance and prosperity introduced by the new harvest season.
Every area of India celebrates this and welcomes the new harvest yr with nice pleasure. Punjab and Haryana have fun Lohri in the north. West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra worships the solar god on Makar Sankranti. Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry have fun Pongal, Gujrat observes Uttarayan and Bihu is widely known in Assam. So, this has each a spiritual in addition to cultural relevance. Though having totally different names the spirit stays the identical throughout the nation.
This pageant additionally marks the finish of winter and the onset of spring which gives numerous seasonal produces which are recent, wholesome and optimum for consumption. From inexperienced leafy greens to vibrant fruits, grains and legumes, this season provides some wealthy finds which are additionally added to the delicacies of the harvest pageant. Let’s make a journey round India and discover the significance of seasonal consuming, its well being advantages. Also, we might certainly be taking a spoonful of all the delicious meals historically ready for this pageant.
We have typically heard nutritionists speak about a rainbow food plan that ideally consists of fruits and greens of varied colors which are a part of the seasonal produce. Seasonal consuming refers to consuming the proper seasonal meals at the moment of the yr when it’s harvested. The purpose is to learn from these recent meals which are at their greatest style and present quite a few phytonutrients. This enriches the thoughts and physique with superb dietary advantages and combats ailments.
Why is Eating Seasonal Important?
The idea of consuming seasonal comes from the indisputable fact that seasonal meals are crammed with tons of vitamins and micronutrients that assist the physique to adapt to weather conditions and forestall its respective ailments. January is the time for flu and fever the place your immunity will get compromised. The chilly winter additionally causes vitamin D deficiencies and ailments like arthritis. Thus, seasonal fruits and greens are required to fulfil the requirement of the time.
Seasonal meals additionally style higher than the saved and frozen meals obtainable in the market. The pure, newly harvested produce are sweeter, backyard recent, unprocessed and enhances the flavour of cooked meals.
Since seasonal meals don’t require storage and transportation, they’re inexpensive. They are picked up from native, close by locations and offered at markets. These make them not simply wholesome but in addition cheap than their packaged alternate options.
Also, by consuming seasonal, you might be serving to and supporting the native farmers. Saving the surroundings from pointless air pollution attributable to transportation and refrigeration.
Health Benefits of Eating Seasonal
Winter diet is all about citrus and inexperienced leafy greens. Let’s check out the well being advantages that the new harvest meals present.
- Loaded with Antioxidants- There are greens like spinach and carrots which are wealthy in antioxidants. While spinach has lutein and zeaxanthin in abundance, carrots include carotenoids and anthocyanins that assist to neutralize the dangerous free radicals in our our bodies.
- Source of Vitamin C- Vitamin C is an important nutrient that’s wanted for the physique for the progress and restore the tissues. January is a perfect time to eat fruits like oranges, kiwi and berries to keep up the stage of vitamin c in the physique and keep away from colds and flu that assaults the immune system of the physique.
- Source of Vitamin D– Winters make you curl up your blanket and keep inside. Thus, it might decrease the pure vitamin D in the type of daylight and trigger deficiencies. Mushrooms and oranges are meals which are winter produce and are loaded with vitamin D properties.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health– Sweet potatoes are potassium-rich greens and mustard are January finds and contribute to coronary heart well being. These additionally cut back the threat of cardiovascular ailments.
Harvest Produces in January and their Nutritional Value
Fruits (100 grams)
- Dates: Dates include 277 kcal, 74.97 g of carbohydrates, 1.81 g of protein, 0.15 g of fat and 6.7 g of fibre.
- Kiwi: This candy unique fruit comprises 61 kcal, 0.5 g fats, 3 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 9 g sugar, 3g dietary fibre and 1.1g protein.
- Oranges: Oranges will be known as a superfood with its great advantages. One massive orange comprises 88 kcal, 1.3 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.4 g of fat and 2 g of fibre.
- Grapes: This excessive water content material fruit has 69 kcal, 0.2 g of fat, 16.5 g of carbs, 1 g of fibre and 0.5 g of protein.
- Chikoo: Though having a excessive GI rating, chikoo has different dietary worth. 100 g of chikoo comprises 98 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 21.4 g of carbohydrates, 1.1 g of fat and 10.9 g of fibre.
Vegetables (100 grams)
- Spinach: Iron-rich meals that has 26 kcal, 2 g of protein, 2.9 g of carbohydrates, 0.7 g of fat and 2.5 g of fibre.
- Radish: 100 grams of radish comprises 17 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 3.4 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fat and 1.6 g of fibre.
- Carrot: Carrot comprises 48 kcal, 0.9 g of protein, 10.6 g of carbohydrates, 0.2 g of fat and 4.4 g of fibre
- Sweet Potato: This vegetable has a wonderful quantity of carotene that advantages eye well being. It has 86 kcal, 1.6 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fats and 3 g of fibre.
Popular Harvest Recipes
- Sarson Da Saag
A preferred recipe from Punjab and a delicacy for Lohri, sarson da saag comprises all that’s wanted to fulfil one’s dietary requirement.
- 1 bunch mustard leaves
- ½ bunch spinach
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 inch ginger (chopped)
- 1 ¼ onion (chopped)
- 4 chilli
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- A pinch hing / asafoetida
- Firstly, wash and finely chop 1 bunch of mustard leaves and ½ bunch of spinach.
- Put the chopped leaves in a strain cooker alongside with 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger, ¼ onion, 2 chilli and ½ tsp salt.
- Now add 1 cup water and strain cook dinner for 4 whistles.
- Then, mash till coarsely floor.
- Next, add 2 tbsp. of cornmeal and combine properly.
- Cook for five minutes or till the combination thickens. preserve apart.
- Now in a big pan, warmth 2 tbsp. ghee, and sauté 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger and 1 inexperienced chilli.
- Next, sauté 1 onion till it turns golden brown.
- Add in cooked and mashed leaves and combine properly and proceed to cook dinner for 4-5 minutes
- Finally, get pleasure from sarson da saag with makki di roti or with chapati.
2. Til Laddu
A well-known wholesome candy for Bihar, Jharkhand and a favorite throughout Makar Sankranti.
- Sesame Seeds/ Til- 1 ¼ cup
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Jaggery- 1 ¼ cup (chopped into items)
- Peanuts- ¼ cup (roasted and chopped)
- Cardamom Powder- ½ tsp
- Dry roast the components separately on medium-low warmth stirring incessantly
- Allow the roasted components to chill down earlier than processing
- Grate the jaggery or break it into small items utilizing a pestle
- Simply pulse 1 to 2 components at a time and grind all the pieces in a number of batches
- Massage the remaining combination properly to assist launch the oils from the sesame seeds and peanuts which can assist bind the ladoo
3. Sweet Pongal
A must have throughout Pongal, candy pongal is an ideal stability of wealthy and candy.
- Rice – ½ cup
- Moong dal / paasi paruppu- ¼ cup
- Jaggery -1 cup grated
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Raisins- 2 to three tbsps
- Cardamom- 4 pods
- Ghee- ¼ cup
- Dry roast rice and dal individually till it’s scorching to the touch
- Pressure cook dinner rice and dal collectively with 2 1/2 cups water. Mash properly and preserve apart (for brand new rice, add solely 2 cups water)
- Heat 1/4 cup water in a pan and add jaggery to it. When it dissolves, pressure it to take away any impurities
- Boil jaggery water with one teaspoon of ghee on medium warmth. Take a cup of water, add a tsp of jaggery syrup to it. If it doesn’t dissolve then it’s the proper stage so as to add mashed rice and dal
- Add mashed rice, dal combination and cook dinner for a couple of minutes till all the pieces will get blended. Add cardamom powder at this stage.
- Fry cashew nuts in a teaspoon of ghee. Remove from the pan and add to the rice dal combination.
- Add the remainder of the ghee and fry raisins till they puff up and add it to the rice dal combination alongside with ghee
- Cook for a couple of minutes on low warmth till all the pieces will get blended properly. serve scorching.
Among the festivities crammed with enjoyable and laughter, don’t forget to maintain your self wholesome and protected. We at HealthifyMe additionally want you good well being and a really affluent harvest pageant.